Surviving Mother's Day
This was one of the worst days of the year for me when I was trying to conceive. A painful reminder of what I didn't have, was missing out on and longed for so much for. I felt such a mixture of emotions like grief, anger, bitterness and pain on this complex day.
I still struggle with celebrating it even now I am a Mum. I know it might sound strange, but it's a painful reminder of the loss of my other babies and that there will be no more babies and no sibling for our son as we end our trying to conceive journey here.
Sadly there are so many people who will struggle on Sunday. Those Mothers who have lost their babies and children, those that have complicated relationships with their own Mothers, have lost or who are losing their Mothers, people who are desperate to become a Mothers, those who are struggling with secondary infertility and those who are grieving the loss of the life they thought they would have.
If Mother's Day is tough for you then you are definitely not alone.
Thankfully it only comes around once a year and is over and done with in 24 hours. However, 24 hours can feel like a lifetime at the time, so I wanted to share 5 tips that may help you to survive the day.
1) Treat yourself with compassion and care, just like you show others.
2) Do something you love on Sunday.
3) Ask yourself what you need and will help you to get through the day and put those things in place ahead of time.
4) Don't pretend you are fine if you are not. Tell those around you how you are feeling and what they can do to support you.
5) Unsubscribe from emails/snooze socials if they are triggering for you.
6) Prioritise self care and sleep.
If you are struggling know that you are not alone and on Monday it will all be over again for another year.
Love Emma xxx